Ioana Ieronim has translated into Romanian poetry, fiction, drama, theoretical texts from several literatures: American, British, French, German, north-European, as well as Australian, Slovene, Macedonian, Turkish, Israeli etc., published in periodicals and volumes. She cooperates with Adam J. Sorkin – and occasionally with Sean Cotter and Martin Woodside – in translating present-day Romanian poetry into English.
She retranslated classical drama for new productions at major theaters in Romania:
- Shakespeare – Measure for Measure: directed by Silviu Purcărete; The Tempest: directed by Catalina Buzoianu; King Lear: directed by Andrei Şerban (version for the stage translated with the director and Dana Dima); All’s Well That Ends Well, directed by Tim Carroll.
- Arthur Miller – The Crucible, directed by Gordon Edelstein; Death of a Salesman, directed by Felix Alexa.
- Tennessee Williams – directed by Theodor Cristian Popescu (Sibiu) and by Florin Fătulescu (Bucharest).
Translations from contemporary drama:
- Doug Wright (director Beatrice Rancea,“Odeon” Theater Bucharest);
- David Hwang (director of staged reading Bogdan Drăgoi,“Odeon” Theater Bucharest);
- Goran Stefanovski (directed by Andrei Raicu at the National Theater in Bucharest; staged readings directed by Radu Alexandru Nica (Sibiu); Cristian Dumitru (Bucharest); director radio plays Mihai Lungeanu, the Romanian National Radio Broadcast);
- Tony Kushner, Angels in America (director Victor Ioan Frunză, “Metropolis” Theater, Bucharest).
Volumes translated into Romanian
- Nis Petersen, Strada Săndălarilor (Sandalmagernes Gade / The Street of the Sandalmakers), a Danish novel, translation and preface by I.Ieronim, Editura Univers, Bucharest, 1977;
- Simon Vestdijk, Călătorie în Jamaica (Rum Island), a Dutch novel, Editura Univers, Bucharest, 1980;
- Joseph Conrad, Ţărmul Refugiului (The Rescue) Editura Eminescu, Bucharest, 1981;
- Christoph Bertram, Europe in the Balance / Europa în balanţă, political theory, Editura Clavis, Bucharest, 1996;
- Andrei Codrescu, Alien Candor / Candoare străină, verse, bilingual edition (English-Romanian), Editura Fundaţiei Culturale Române, Bucharest, 1997;
- Thomas S. Blanton, What President Truman Knew about Romania / Ce știa Președintele Truman despre România, Fundația Academia Civică, Bucharest, 1997.
- Andrei Codrescu, Selected Poetry, preface by Gheorghe Crăciun, verse, bilingual edition (English-Romanian), Editura Paralela 45, Piteşti, 2000;
- Fiona Sampson, The Distance Between Us / Distanţa dintre noi, versuri, bilingual edition, with Brândușa Prepeliță-Răileanu, Editura Vinea, Bucharest , 2005;
- Cengiz Bektaş, Yapisi yüređýn / Clădirea inimii, bilingual edition (Turkish-Romanian), translated in cooperation with the author, Editura Ivan Krasko, Nădlac, 2005;
- Andrei Codrescu, It was today / Era azi, verse, translated with Carmen Firan, Editura Institutului Cultural Român, Bucharest, 2006 ;
- Amir Or, Să te vorbim pe tine (Let Us Speak You), verse, bilingual edition (Hebrew-Romanian), translated in cooperation with the author, Editura Vinea, Bucharest, 2006;
- Declan Donnellan, Actorul şi ţinta (The Actor and the Target), translated with Saviana Stănescu, UNITER/Unitext, Bucharest, 2006.
- Lewis Caroll, Alice in Wonderland; Alice in the Looking-Glass (Romanian titles: Alice în Țara Minunilor ; Alice în Ţara din Oglindă), translation of the verse for the new Romanian edition by Antoaneta Ralian, Bucharest, Editura Univers (Cotidianul), 2007. Another edition, Editura Art, Bucharest, 2010 and Editura Humanitas, 2016; available as eBook from Editura Humanitas.
- Agi Mishol, Şeherezada, collection of poetry, translated with Riri Sylvia Manor, Editura Institutului Cultural Român, Bucharest, 2008.
- Saviana Stănescu, Aurolac Blues și alte texte scurte / Aurolac Blues and Other Brief Texts, drama, translation of the English texts, and translator’s comment, Editura Cartea Românească, Bucharest, 2008.
- William Shakespeare, The Tempest (Romanian title: Furtuna), with translator's preface, Fundaţia Culturală “Camil Petrescu”, Bucharest, 2009 – for the production directed by Cătălina Buzoianu at the Teatrul Mic, Bucharest.
- Richard Schechner, Performance. Introducere şi teorie / Performance. Introduction and Theory, with a preface by Saviana Stănescu and an introductory note by I.Ieronim. UNITER/Unitext, Bucharest, 2009.
- Goran Stefanovski, Povești din Estul Sălbatic (Tales from the Wild East), plays and essays, selected, translated and introduced by I.Ieronim. The play The Demon of Debarmaalo, translated from the Macedonian with Filip Ristovski. Fundaţia Culturală “Camil Petrescu” (Editura Cheiron), Bucharest, 2010.
- George Banu, Shakespeare, lumea-i un teatru (Shakespeare, the World’s a Stage), anthology with comments by G.B. – translation of the Shakespearean texts, I. Ieronim. Translation of the French essays/comments, Ileana Littera. Editura Nemira, Bucharest, 2010.
- Antigone Kefala, Absence / Absență, bilingual volume (English-Romanian), poems. Selection, translation and preface by I.Ieronim, Editura Omonia, Bucharest, 2010.
- Alberto Manguel, A Reading Diary / Jurnal de lectură, essay, Editura Baroque Books & Arts, Bucharest, 2012.
- Lidia Dimkovska, Diferenţă (Difference) poems (translated by Gabriela and Constantin Abăluţă, Ioana Ieronim and Dagmar Maria Anoca with the author), Editura Tracus Arte, 2012
- Shakespeare, Measure for Measure (Romanian title: Măsură pentru măsură), with the translator’s preface, Fundaţia Culturală “Camil Petrescu”, Bucharest, 2013. It is the version produced by director Silviu Purcarete at the “Marin Sorescu” Theater, Craiova. Online edition with illustrations from the Purcarete production, Liternet
- Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman (Romanian title: Moartea unui comis voiajor), Editura Polirom, 2013 – the version produced by stage director Felix Alexa at the Bulandra Theater in București.
- Russell Kirk, The Moral Imagination (Romanian title: Imaginația morală), translated by Ioana Ieronim, Adriana Bădescu, Loredana Bucuroaia, Bogdan-Alexandru Stănescu, Mihai Moroiu, Editura Baroque Books & Arts, 2014.
- Fiona Sampson, Volta, poetry, Editura Tracus Arte, 2015
- Goran Stefanovski, Europeretta, anthology of drama and essays; the plays Chernodrinski Comes Back Home (Cernodrinski se întoarce acasă) and The Demon of Debarmaalo (Demonul din Debarmaalo) translated from the Macedonian with Filip Ristovski and the author. Editura Tracus Arte, 2016
In anthologies of drama:
- Dramaturgie contemporană din Balcani (Balkan Drama Today), foreword and translation of one of the six plays included : Goran Stefanovski, Hotel Europa. Fundaţia Culturală “Camil Petrescu”, Bucharest, 2008.
- Anthology of the International Theater Festival, Sibiu 2009, bilingual volume : translation of the play Everyman/ Un om ca oricare, by Goran Stefanovski.
Translation into English – volume of verse:
- Nicolae Tzone, The Balkan Aphrodite, traslated by Sean Cotter and Ioana Ieronim, Editura Vinea – International, Bucharest -New York, 2006.